A few months back, I gave myself a weight loss challenge. I challenged myself to lose 10 lbs in 60 days. If I didn’t lose anything, I would see the doctor to find out why.
I consider myself to be fairly fit. If you met me in real life, you would think I was of a normal height and weight – but when I look in the mirror, I see some lbs to lose. So I started out 70 days ago, and so far I have lost 8 -9 lbs. I didn’t quite reach my goal, but I am ecstatic that something is finally working! (I also definitely lost inches too and I can tell my face has slimmed down.) D is a tiny peanut and doesn’t need to lose an ounce – but she has lost at least 5lbs!
Over the last several years, D and I have tried various fitness programs. We’ve walked, run (eh-hem – tried to run), done the 30-day shred (and successfully killed our ankles!), done Power 90, done various Pilates and other workout videos, all with limited success.
I have been up and down with the same 10-15lbs over the last few years. My parents are big. Okay, let’s be honest, they are fat. Both of them. I am scared to death of turning out like my mother in particular, who has never been able to keep weight off, even with the lap-band surgery.
This is all to say that D and I have been trying so hard to find something we both like to do, since we love being with each other and motivating each other. This was a double edged sword because she would see results, and I would be stuck and feel crappy.
We have now found the key to success: finding what we each like to do, and do it separately. This is huge for us.
Several months ago my doctor told me if I wanted to lose weight, I would have to do 3 times as much as I normally did (since my body was use to exercise and because of my genetics). So D and I came up with plans:
My routine (Monday through Saturday) looks like this:
- Get up at 5:30 am when D gets up to get ready for work (later on Saturdays since we don’t work this day).
- Make the bed, put socks on, put bra on, put my hair up (I also the wear shorts and tee-shirt that I sleep in – in case you were imagining a mostly naked person! 😉 ).
- Go downstairs and get sneakers on and water bottle out of fridge.
- Pet the cat good morning 😉
- Go into our workout room and do a minute or two of moving stretches.
- Strap on my boxing gloves and smash the crap out of the reflex boxing bag and the heavy bag. (I do this for 20-30 minutes – longer on Saturdays – awesome workout and fun!)
- On Tuesdays and Thursdays I alternate hitting the bags and using the weight bench for 5 minute intervals for 20-30 minutes.
- 5 minutes of crunches/pushups/planks.
- 2-3 minutes of stretches.
- Eat breakfast of 2 eggs (sometimes a little fruit too), or a piece of broccoli quiche.
- Walk for 30 minutes at lunch.
- Walk for 30 minutes with D after supper.
- Sundays are my rest day.
I only weigh-in every 60 days. I found this to be crucial because the loss has been slow and steady, and I wouldn’t have seen it one week in. I plan to up the amount of time I exercise as to not plateau.
- After supper walk with M (30 minutes)
- After walk use the weight bench for 20-30 minutes
- Shadow box with free-weights
Both of us have been eating smaller portions at dinner (which was our vise), and I have been eating much more fruits and vegetables and staying away from the sweets and cakes.
I am really proud of myself, as I have done this routine, with only taking 2 days off for a stiff neck, for the past 70 days! I feel great, I look great, and I am excited to see how much progress I will make in the next 60 days! My ultimate goal is to be down another 10 lbs by November 15th when my physical is. If my arms keep getting bigger at the rate they have, I will be BUFF by then!! Hahaha!
I wrote this all out to keep myself accountable, and to see that I do feel great in case I don’t lose any more weight.
I don’t want to stop the momentum since winter is right around the corner and I am very prone to seasonal depression. Last year was really hard for me with my parents moving away and all, so this year I plan to be the best year yet! Wish me luck!