Busy Weekend!

On Friday D got a text from Big D at about 3:30 p.m. saying he decided to come home for the long weekend and that we needed to send him some money for gas (darn kid!). We did that. When I was almost home at 4:45, I was thinking how weird it would be to see his car in the driveway. I was interested in how he was doing and looking forward to seeing him. Only he wasn’t there when I got home. D said he had just texted again and said he went out to a dead battery in his car. We thought maybe he left a light on or something. A friend jump-started him and he was on his way. About an hour and a 1/2 later, he was home.

We ate, and talked, talked, talked. He didn’t bring his video game system with him, and that SHOCKED us both! You may remember that we had problems with him in the past and moderating his time on his game. Apparently he has gotten past that issue! He has been socializing, having a great time, getting his work done, and of course checking out the ladies 🙂 He is happy and it was so good to see that. Also, without his game to distract him, we spent a lot of time with him. He was helpful and sweet and really made me think we did a great job raising him. It made the past year of pure hell worth it!

On Saturday we got up and had to take our trash to the transfer station. We tried to start Big D’s car to move it out of the way, and – nothing. It didn’t even make a noise. We knew then that he truly needed a new battery. The only problem was it was the holiday weekend and no one local was open. We called the “city” that’s about 20 miles away and found a place that could barely squeeze him in. We went out and tried to jump start him – nothing. We moved the cables around and tried again- nothing. Finally, we asked out neighbor to come take a look and he said the cables weren’t on there tight enough, so he re-attached them and thankfully that worked!

D and I went in our car with Big D following us, and we dropped it off. Then we went all the way back home. We went to the transfer station and then closed up the pool for the winter and deflated all the rafts and such. Then, at 3:00 we made our way back up and went to the grocery store for some essentials (the mechanic closed at 4:00 and it takes us 30 minutes to get there from our house). We did a very quick shopping trip and then started over to the mechanic. On the way we got the call that he was all set. His battery was so dead that they couldn’t even get it to jump start. He said we were lucky that it didn’t fry his alternator. (PHEW!) We paid and left. Sort of hefty unexpected bill – but what can you do?

We got home and finished our outside projects, including mowing the lawn. Then we each (D and I) took a shower and we all settled in to watch some movies together. Big D wanted to watch Matrix Reloaded, which neither D or I had seen. I have seen the original Matrix and hated it, but relented after he said please a few times. Oh. My. God. Note to self: Never let Big D pick a movie out again! It was so confusing! It was over 2 hours long! And it was BORING!! D and I managed to sit through the whole thing with him, and didn’t let him know how much we hated it. It was nice to just be able to spend some time with him.

On Sunday we had a BBQ chicken lunch and then he decided he wanted to make the drive down to see his grandparents, which he did. He got home at about 8:30 p.m. and it amazes me what an adult he has become. Yesterday he only stayed until after lunch, and then made his way back to school.

It was only 2 weeks since he had been home, but it took me 2 days to get used to falling asleep with him back in the house. It was weird! I wasn’t used to hearing him during the night. Of course he doesn’t go to be very early anymore, so we could hear him up to go to the bathroom a few times.
It’s strange to me how used to not having him in the house I have gotten. I miss him, but at the same time, I kinda like it. Is that bad?

He’ll be back for a week on October 6th, so we probably won’t see him until then (although we will text and Skype).

Wasn’t quite the quiet, low key weekend I was hoping for, but at least we got to see Big D and now we only have a 4 day work week! Already looking forward to Friday at 4:30!

How was your long weekend (if you had one)?


About thelesbiannextdoor

I am a 41 year old lesbian, living with her wife in a small town. I have a 23 year old step-son. Who knows, I could be your neighbor ;) (Unless you know for sure your neighbor is not a lesbian - then I'm probably not!)

Posted on September 4, 2012, in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. 2 Comments.

  1. So glad y’all had a nice, albeit unexpected, family weekend together. It’s really great to read your thoughts/processes through the changes in your family. So interesting! As for my long weekend, well, it wasn’t due to Labor Day, but it was an amazing weekend in Ireland! 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: