How I Spent My Summer Vacation (Part I)

Hello my bloggy friends! I am back from the first of 2 week-long vacations. 10 whole days off. It was GLORIOUS!

On Friday, June 29th, D and I began our staycation. I did a puzzle and watched movies all day while she hung out by the pool and did some lawn stuff. We both loved it! The next day we both spent time by (and in) the pool. Relaxing and fun 🙂 Sunday she and I took a trip down to see her parents and for her to cut some of her family’s hair. That, too, was a good day.

On Monday, D and Big D we into the nearby “city” and looked for cars before Big D’s eye doctor appointment. And they found him one!! Big D now has a car all to himself! It’s a ’98 Oldsmobile, but it runs great and is very clean. No rust or anything. The only problem they had that day was that they had my car, and the muffler decided to detach itself from the exhaust pipe. UGH! It was an easy fix by the mechanic (he welded it back together), but it meant spending a good chunk of my vacation money. It’s not like my car is that old, either. It’s a 2006 Toyota Corrolla – in excellent condition- so it was surprising to me that that happened. Oh well. Tuesday was spent outside by the pool all day. It was so nice and relaxing again!

Wednesday was the 4th of July. We started it off by going to the parade and chatting with my parents, my brother and his wife. Then we went our separate ways and our friend “Karen” stopped by for lunch. We grilled and then went swimming (Big D joined us by this point – he didn’t want to go to the parade). Later in the afternoon, my parents, grandma, 2 brothers and my brother’s wife stopped by and Karen left. My sister in law was D-R-U-N-K and hilarious! We had a great time swimming, playing silly pool games and drinking (them, not me). After they left there were still a few hours until the fireworks, so D and I just relaxed.

At 8:15pm D and I (Big D didn’t want to come) left for the almost mile walk to the Elementary School where the fireworks were going to happen. When we got there, we could see lightning in the distance and heard some far off thunder, but nothing major. I had checked the weather forecast before we left and it said there was a 10% chance of a shower. We settled in and talked to an old friend of D’s  for about 20 minutes, and went to get a drink of water. When we walked back, we noticed no one was sitting anywhere near us and we laughed about how we must have the plague:

“Don’t sit near the lesbians! You might catch the GAY!”

We sat down and it started to sprinkle. No big deal. We had put jeans on so we wouldn’t get bitten by mosquitoes, and we also each brought a hoodie. The rain started coming a little faster, so we both but our hoodies on. Then it came a bit faster and I looked at D and she said, “I think it’s time to go.” Just as we stood up, sheets of rain started coming down. This was no shower, this was a full-on rainstorm. People scrambled for cover, and we decided to just go home. We had forgotten our cellphones and had no umbrellas, so we just trudged through the downpour – carrying our lawn chairs – and made our way to the street. By the time we got to the front of the school it was as if someone took us both and dunked us – fully dressed – into a vat of water. I don’t know if you’ve ever have had the lovely experience of trying to walk in completely soaked blue jeans before. If not, you should try it! It was so (NOT) fun! When we got about 3/4 of the way home, a car drove by through a huge puddle and splashed us. We were already so wet, I just through my arms out and begged all the rest of the cars to do the same. (When life gives you lemons…..)

My family usually sits at the end of our street to watch the fireworks and when we finally got there, they were just folding up their chairs. Apparently they fled to our front porch to see if it would let up, and when it didn’t, they decided to go home (about 8 houses up the street). My mom and sister in law saw us and said “We think Big D went to find you!” That’s right, our sweet little cub got in his car (his own car!) and tried to find us. It was pitch black and raining buckets, and people were scrambling to get out of there just like us, so there is no way he would have found us, but we were so impressed that he tried.

When D and I got in the door, we stripped down to our underwear right there. We threw our clothes on the washing machine and ran upstairs. I was a little worried about Big D, but he came home about 3 minutes later. He was so cute telling us about how he ran to find us and couldn’t. Apparently he texted us too, but of course our phones were home. What a great kid we raised! He did find a few of his friends stranded and drove them home, so it wasn’t a total loss for him.

The crappy thing is that they actually still had the fireworks. In the pouring rain. So we missed them again this year 😦 (Last year I wasn’t feeling well, so we missed them then too). Oh well, it was an adventure at least!

The rest of the week was full of swimming, eating, and watching movies. I am a huge movie buff and watched all of the following (in no particular order) throughout the week:

  • Anger Management
  • Daddy Daycare
  • Transformers (the first one)
  • Men in Black
  • The Fast and the Furious Tokyo Drift
  • 27 Dresses
  • D.E.B.S.
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II (twice!)
  • Case 39*
  • Jennifer’s Body **
  • Fagbug*
  • Unstoppable*
  • This is What Love In Action Looks Like*
  • Zeitgeist* (awesome movie!! must recommend!)

I think there were one or two more, but I can’t remember. Looking at that list, it seems like that’s all I did! To be fair, most were “watched” while I was doing my puzzle – so I wasn’t fully paying attention.

On Friday we did something a bit crazy. We went to the pool place and asked about in-ground pools! We have been wanting one for a while, but D is very set on getting one soon. So we talked about it. They are coming by to measure our yard this week, and we will see what happens! If we can do it, we won’t until probably next summer, but it is insane to think we have started the process!!

I also started reading 50 Shades of Grey, or as I like to call it: 350 Pages of Yawn. I’ll do a bit of a review on it sometime. If you are thinking of reading this book – don’t. Just don’t. Save your money! My mom loaned them to me, or else I wouldn’t be reading it either.

All in all, it was an excellent staycation and I cannot wait for the next one at the end of July!

*on Netflix

**on TV, so I had to fast forward commercials, but it was still good!


About thelesbiannextdoor

I am a 42 year old lesbian, living with her wife in a small town. I have a 24 year old step-son. Who knows, I could be your neighbor ;) (Unless you know for sure your neighbor is not a lesbian - then I'm probably not!)

Posted on July 9, 2012, in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. 2 Comments.


    I just love to read your posts!!! I laughed out loud reading that drawing you made!! Hooray for an I ground pool, and for an awesome vacation that included lots of fun!!!!

    • A! You’re alive! Thanks for the comment! Aren’t I the best artist you have ever seen? 🙂 My stick figures are da bomb!

      So glad to see you are still kicking. Now write a new dang blog so I can laugh and comment on yours!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: