Facebook – A Love/Hate Relationship
I have a love/hate relationship with Facebook. I love that I can see how all the little kids I used to sit for turned out (and surprisingly they remember me!) and reconnect with their parents. I love that I can reconnect with old friends from college. I love that I can see how all my classmates turned out – the good, the bad and the I gained 200lbs since high school.
Things that I hate:
- When my brother and his new wife post mushy mushy posts to each other everyday. This has been going on for 2-3 years! Okay, we get it! You love each other! Now put down your phone and actually interact with each other over that dinner you just had to show us a picture of! Don’t get me wrong, D and I have posted mushy stuff to each other before, but that is only a few times a year, not 15 times a day! We think if you have to post it on FB for everyone to see, it must not be that great. Keep it to yourselves. You know, like the olden days. Tell her you love her IN PERSON.
- When the same brother and his new wife used to write “Had tea this morning! It was so good!” (When I realized that “tea” meant sex, I threw up in my mouth a little.) I don’t need to know that shit, and neither do the 600+ “friends” you have!
- When people have 600+ friends. Really? You know that many people? You are close to that many people?
- When people write ambiguous stuff like: “3rd day in the hospital. Ugh!” and then other people are all asking what’s going on? And the original post-er doesn’t respond. If you want the world to know you are in the hospital, you better damn well let the world know what you are in the hospital for! Or when people just write “uh-oh” or “shit” and then don’t let everyone know why they’re saying it! (a friend of mine just did this last week. She was supposedly in the hospital for 5 days. Whenever anyone asked why she was there, she’d dodge the question. Just tell us, damn it!)
- When people from high school add me even though we were never friends, and then a few months later they un-friend me for no reason. I could care less if you are my “friends” bitches, but don’t add me, only to un-add me later. You asked me! Go screw yourselves!
- When people write LMBO. Laughing your butt off? Really? Are too pretentious to laugh your ass off?
- When people keep “marrying” and “divorcing” over and over. You could not possibly be “Married to Melissa” on Monday, and then “Divorced” on Tuesday, and then “Married to Janelle” on Thursday. Real life doesn’t work that way and you are a douche.
- When couples argue with each other or write nasty things about their significant other IN ALL CAPS, and then the next day they write I LOVE MY BOO! Make up your DAMN MIND! Either you love him or you hate him, or maybe you love/hate him, but don’t let the whole world know. You look like an idiot. What happened to keeping private things, oh, I don’t know private?!
Am I a snob? I just wish people would use social media to be social. Not to air the problems in their life. I really don’t need to know EVERYTHING about them! Does that make me a terrible person?